9.25.2009

Books...

If I had extra money floating around, I would spend it on books. I tend to think of the money we spend on bills and things as the amount of books we could've bought with that money. For instance, we paid a reconnection bill for the sewer the other day of $50, and I thought to myself, "O man! That's like 5 books!"

I've spent the last two days looking on Goodreads and Amazon at books that I've never read, but would love to get. I buy books I haven't read, and some people see that as a problem, but I don't like the library. I don't like used book shops. I don't like the smell these places give off, and who knows where those library/used books have been! But a new book, well, that's something entirely different. Unchartered territory. That smell is better than the smell of money. The spine is unbent, the pages intact without dog ears, the words left unmarred by numerous highlighters and pencils. Ah...heaven. Now, don't go thinking I'm an irresponsible book-buyer, just buying whatever looks good. O no. I read several summaries and reviews. I used to rely heavily on the opinions of people I know, but once that led me astray, so now I do more research on top of that.

When I grow up, and get rich, I am going to have my own personal library. I will spend entire days in there having long, leisurely read-athons.
We used to have read-athons in 5th grade. We would bring whatever books we wanted to read, our sleeping bags, and whatever treats we wanted to eat, and we would lay out all our pillows and sleeping bags and just read all day. That was heavenly to me.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm in love with books, too. Two of my all time favorites are East of Eden and Anna Karenina. Have you read either?

Jessica said...

I haven't! Anna Karenina has been on my list for awhile, but I haven't even heard of East of Eden. I will definitely have to look it up!

Robin Lamb said...

I love books too! I hope I haven't led you astray in any of my recommendations though ;).