11.02.2009

Right Now...

I am baking a sugarless pumpkin pie. And I am so excited to eat it. My friend K Slice gave me this recipe and it's been a big blessing and a beacon of hope for resisting sugar in the upcoming holiday season. But guess what...it's not even pumpkin either! Would you be able to tell the difference between this pie and real pumpkin pie, sugar and all? No. You wouldn't. J wasn't able to anyways...


You can make it out of real pumpkin, if you like, but K Slice makes it from Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatoes. The sweet potatoes gives it a little boost of natural sweetness and I believe the squash helps with the consistency, but whatever the real reason it's for doesn't matter...because it's amazing. Thanksgiving at my house will be a joyous event. (Don't worry sugar eaters...I will be making real pumpkin pie (sugar & pumpkin) as well!) K Slice also has a recipe for Apple Crisp...that will be our next adventure.


You substitute Honey for the Sugar in the pie and this sparked my curiosity about the substitution ratio between sugar and honey, so I looked up the rules! And...it is amazing. I made whole wheat, sugarless banana muffins the other day that were awesome. You couldn't even tell it was honey rather than sugar. Yes.

8 weeks strong as of tomorrow and life is still good in no-sugar land. I feel fantastic. I have decided that this will continue for at least a year, but every time I think about going back to sugar, I cringe. Maybe it will go on forever.

4 comments:

Samurai Mom said...

Pumpkin and squash are really the same thing, pumpkin being a type of squash and all, so you can swap one for the other.

Shawnel said...

i was thinking about cutting out sugar but not to the extent you have. I was just thinking about doing direct sugar like candy and pop and other super sugary things. Youve inspired me

grandmawhitehouse said...

My mom always used hubbard squash for her pumpkin pie. It was great.

Jessica said...

I remembered pumpkin being a squash after I posted this...haha...and now I feel a little silly...

Do it Shawnel! I feel so much better!! I still eat bread but I try to keep it to the whole wheat variety, I use honey as a substitute when cooking things...I can give you great tips on that. I eat fruit, but I try to limit that to just the morning. It's so much easier than I thought and the benefits are totally worth it. If you decide to do it and need help, let me know! :D