10.22.2009

Book Reviews...

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Honestly, this book was a little depressing. As I read it I kept thinking to myself, "Why am I reading this again?" But, throughout the book, I finally realized what kept me reading. Although it didn't have any fantastic romance or an daring adventures per se, it was realistic. It was the story of a girl growing up in the real world and all the ugliness and beauty that real life holds. I found myself liking this book despite the fact that it didn't really have much of anything except just real living--raw life. It helped me to recognize all the different facets of life and the beauty that each little facet holds. It made me stop and look at normal things in my life that I had taken for granted. It inspired me to try and be a little more resourceful. Despite the fact that the book itself was a little depressing, that's what life is like, but we all strive to find the happiness and we strive to find the little things that help make life more worth living.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith

This book had me doubled over laughing for the first four chapters of this book. The way Mr. Grahame-Smith planted his witticisms throughout Ms. Austen's most famous work was genius. For that first little bit, it seemed like maybe the book should've been this way all along. And then it went horribly wrong. It seems that people never see the line or ignore it when they do see it and because of this ignorance/arrogance the line is crossed and you are left wondering what the heck happened. Yes, zombies are gross. Did it have to be as grotesque as this book ended up being with the characters that weren't members of the hordes of undead acting more disgusting than the undead themselves? No. I would recommend reading the first few chapters for free online for a good laugh, and then stopping. No amount of curiosity could justify reading the entire thing and I am sad this once that my curiosity got the better of me.

The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery

Written by the author of Anne of Green Gables, The Blue Castle is a cute story of a woman who discovers she only has a little while left to live and what she does with that time. I was really annoyed with it at first because I can't relate with the main character in the beginning at all. The romance in this story is pretty cute, but not earth-shattering by any means. I think my knowledge of the outcome ruined some parts of the story for me. The romance in this book is cute, although my picture of the main dude was a little off because my imagination had him pegged as an old, toothless hobo after reading about him for the first time. He is not an old, toothelss hobo, so don't make the same mistake I did. I recommend this book for a fun, easy read.


1 comment:

Amy said...

Melissa dropped off the P&P zombies book, but I haven't picked it up to read yet..I was sad to miss the book club.

I LOVE A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It is sad, but such a great book overall.