10.20.2009

O Anne...

Last week, two of my amazing friends introduced me to the very delightful story of Anne (with an "e") Shirley. Why I haven't seen it before last week is beyond me...

I fell in love. I fell in love with Anne who I feel would definitely have been a "bosom friend" and a "kindred spirit" of mine had she not been fictional. I fell in love with most all of the characters actually (there are definitely some who just boil my blood), especially Anne, Matthew, and Gilbert. I fell in love with the setting (I've never wanted to go to Prince Edward Island so much in my life). I fell in love with the plot, with the relationships between the characters, and the love story. I just adore Gilbert Blythe. I knew from the moment he called her "Carrots" they were destined to be in love. I was angry whenever Anne would snub him when he was just trying to be nice, I cried when she refused his proprosal--twice, (which was highly reminiscent of "Little Women" when Jo refused Laurie...that one still hurts), I cried when he told her he was engaged to Christin(e/a) (not sure which one it is...I didn't really pay attention to her name, just that she wasn't Anne), I was spitting nails when Morgan Harris proposed (definitely don't like him), I cried when Gilbert was in bed with Scarlet Fever, and I've never giggled like a little girl as much in my life as when Anne finally told Gilbert that all she wanted was him.

The entire time we were watching the first two movies which totaled to about a week, I would beg my friends to tell me if Gilbert and Anne end up together. I just knew they had to! She wouldn't tell me. I would beg and threaten to look it up on the internet if she didn't tell me, but all she did was say no and threaten anger if I did look it up. One night, I had resolved after much debate to not look it up because I have never seen this friend angry, and I decided I didn't want to. After having just watched the part where Gilbert proposes and Anne says no, I told J of my struggle. He told me he could tell me everything that happens because he has been forced to watch it 6 times, at least. I told him, "No. Krystal would kill me." After which I exclaimed, "I am just so sad about Gilbert Blythe!" To which Jason promptly responded, "Who's Gilbert Blythe?" I decided he wasn't much of a threat to my finding out what happens prematurely.

I still have the third movie to watch and I decided today is the day. I woke up with a sore throat, swollen glands, and earaches. This would be the perfect day to watch the movie and relax and let my body fight off whatever is trying to attack. I've heard that the third movie is not as good as the first two, but we'll see. Just hoping for more of this...

4 comments:

Samurai Mom said...

NO STOP DO NOT WATCH THE 3RD MOVIE IT IS CRAP!!!! SAVE YOURSELF!!! READ THE BOOKS INSTEAD.

Hemsley5 said...

All these years I have let you down, how could we not have watched Anne of Green Gables. I love those movies and can watch them again and again. I feel a Thanksgiving marathon coming up. Glad you loved them too!

Robin Lamb said...

The books are better! And I am pretty shocked you've never read or heard of them before...

Eva said...

Don't you dare watch any more than the third movie. I haven;t watched any of them in so long that I don't remember accuracy of the three but there is a fourth out there somewhere that is called "the continuing story" or some such crap It you watch that we can;t be friends.
Ok, we can be friends but you have to know that I will spit nails at the mention of that atrocity.
I have all eight books. You're welcome to them.
oh, and I'm also amazed that you haven't read them.
I was a little jealous reading about you experiencing it for the first time though. Anne is part of my blood, I've always known what comes next. it would be so exciting to have a first time with her story.