11.13.2008

Sushi for a sweater...

On Tuesday night, my wonderful hubby and I went to dinner with our dear friends Jenna and Curt! Can anyone guess where we went?? By the title of my post you could probably infer that we went for sushi at Kona Grill (Happy Hour=half price sushi, pizza, and appetizers). I do not like sushi, and yes, I've tried it. Previous to this dinner outing, I had tried sushi 6 times and each time was a different type of sushi, so all of you who use the line, "Don't knock it till you try it," I can knock it all I want because I think 6 times is a fair amount of trying.


Anyways, Jenna and I had a moderate amount of food to satiate our appetites sufficiently, but our husbands gorged themselves. My husband in particular, cannot control himself whilst around sushi. He gets this look in his eye that says, "I am a king, and I will stuff myself like a king because it's half price sushi and I can have as many Atlantic Rolls as I want!" Curt, I believe is the
same way because he, after eating about 3 rolls and an appetizer of pot stickers, ordered 3 more rolls for him and his wife, even though she clearly said, "I'm good," when asked if she would like more. The 3 rolls come and Curt is so full he nearly split his pants, so he makes a deal with his wife, the basic terms being, "You eat 7 pieces, I buy you a sweater." Being inspired by this little deal I decided to try and strike up a deal with my hubby. So I pipe up, "I will eat one piece of sushi J if you buy me a sweater," and I was completely serious. You must understand, my husband loves sushi and naturally wants me to love it so we can go eat it more. This deal appealed to that sense and he considered it. Then Jenna decided to sweeten the deal for him a bit by saying, "She'll eat THREE pieces of sushi for a sweater." Immediately, he agreed, and I was on yet another quest to successfully devour THREE pieces of sushi. One time during a past sushi-trying endeavor, I actually started gagging because I didn't chew enough and the seaweed was one big long piece trailing all the way down my throat, so now...I chew. A lot. So in goes the first piece followed by about 2 minutes of chewing. Down goes the first piece. I finished the other two (surprisingly without gagging).
Having earned my sweater and Jenna having earned hers, and being so conveniently close to a shopping center, we went on our quest for some sweaters/sweatshirts, but the ironic thing about shopping is when you aren't looking you find exactly what you want, and when you are looking, there's nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. So THREE pieces of sushi later and I still don't have my sweater. I don't think I'll hold him to it though. I thought that was really sweet of him to agree to such a one-sided deal and honestly, I know he would've bought me a sweater anyways, even without eating the THREE pieces of sushi. He would bend over backwards just to make me happy. He is just really selfless like that, and I realized (for like the gajillionth time since we've been married) that I married the best man in the world.



1 comment:

Samurai Mom said...

HA! i love, love, love the picture of J bending over backwards. I think I need to get one of Moose doing that.