10.23.2008

Ode to Poppies...

I am going to venture out on a limb and actually claim something as a favorite. Usually I "hem and haw" about favorites because I love them all, but this I believe is definitely my favorite. Poppies are my favorite flower. I love them! They are so delicate, but bold. They are also the source of poppy seeds which make the best muffins--almond poppy seed muffins. I'm even going to say what my favorite color of them is--Wow...look how bold I am being--RED. I am not usually a "red" person. I am generally not partial to loud colors. I'm a mellow person--I like my blues and darker greens, stuff like that. Maybe that's why I can say red poppies are my favorite--because they are so different from what I usually like and I actually love them! Did you know that you can buy Wal*Mart gift cards down here with a package of poppy seeds attached?? I think I might want to buy one just for the poppy seeds and then maybe I can try my hand at growing some. I know they are summer flowers, but it's practically summer here all the time so i would be able to grow some right now right? I need to research that.



I think they might also be my favorite because they seem so graceful and I lack a large amount of grace. I tend to be drawn toward people and things that are something I am not, that I want to be, in hopes I can learn from them.


Poppies are also symbols of consolations in times of death (among other things) and that seems so sweet to me. They seem to be very thoughtful and considerate. They don't need praise from everyone, they are confident, they are peaceful, and sometimes they even seem a bit woeful, but not for themselves. They are a compassionate and selfless flower.
But above all, Poppies just are. No matter what is going on in the world, they still fulfill the measure of their creation and continue to radiate the beauty that Heavenly Father gave them.

2 comments:

Samurai Mom said...

Post thief! I was totally going to blog about poppies. Oh, well I guess we really are sisters.

Robin Lamb said...

Cute blog! I'm so glad you and Jenna have joined in now! The hair was fun, but I'm glad it's over, too big and poofy to keep permanently. And I'm glad that ya'll decided to take Sabra, you'll give her a great home! As for decorating ideas, we'll have to talk some time, but I think we're gonna have to do one of those creative nights soon. Jenna was reminding me of that the other day, so we'll have to set something up.