7.22.2009

I'm a Romantic...

I am afraid that sums me up in a nutshell. J has been gone all evening at an orienteering training. Boys and girls are so different. Most boys find much greater pleasure in discussing, for example, orienteering, or business, etc. And generally, girls like to talk about romantic things, like love, beauty, etc, which I find much more entertaining. Believe me, I've had my fair share of both topics. Which brings me to my evening tonight...

Because J has been gone, I've had time to watch all my girly movies that he puts up with but doesn't prefer to watch when he has a say in it.

I'm a "true love conquers all" type of girl. I love my happy endings, and anything that is too rational and realistic is just plain rubbish in my opinion. What's the point of watching a movie if it doesn't end up happy? I see enough sad endings in real life without paying money for it! Why anyone would want to pay to feel horribly at the end of a movie due to the outcome of the said movie is beyond me.

My favorites...

Pride and Prejudice, of course. Not the one with Keira Knightley in it. She just doesn't capture Elizabeth for me. And of course, you cannot properly capture the essence of Pride and Prejudice unless you watch the 5 hour version.


Another favorite...

Emma. I just love how, despite Emma's faults of being entirely too nosy, Mr. Knightley falls in love with her because he sees her potential. Isn't that what loves about? Looking past each other's faults and bringing out the best in each other? I can relate with Emma, which makes me all the more grateful for my own personal Mr. Knightley.


The most recent addition to my favorites...

Jane Eyre.

Oh how giddy I get when I see Mr. Rochester tell Jane that he is all hers. And how my heart breaks when I see she leaves...and oh how I wanted to cry when I heard Mr. Rochester cry out for Jane across distances that are insurmountable by his voice, but does she hear them? Yes, she does. This movie was a tad bit darker than I am used to, but the ending makes it all the worthwhile. And the tension they create...o man.


But, I did not watch any of these movies tonight...unfortunately. I watched Penelope, which is a very cute movie with a great message of learning to accept the real you, but it definitely was lacking in certain areas that qualify movies for my list of greatness.

The next movie watched was one I had seen before. Becoming Jane. This, if you have seen it, (I guess this is where I put "spoiler alert") ends poorly. The movie itself, I realize, is not the absolute true story of Jane Austen, but I look at it as just a love story and despite its horrible ending, I love it. I love the passion they generate. Especially here...in this scene:


And then...they kiss. And it's one of the best movie kisses ever...until she pushes him off. Anyways...I have overcome my detest of this movie because of the ending by simply turning it off at a happy part in the film and deluding myself to believing that is actually how it ends. Which is what I did tonight.

Simply put, I love love. And I always will. Its engrained into me. I am definitely a romantic.

4 comments:

grandmawhitehouse said...

Hey Jessica I'm with you. We will have to watch the girly movies when I come down.

Jessica said...

Deal! So excited! :D

Eva said...

The main thing I remember form Penelope is how beautiful it is. The opening shot, I think it's her foot or something, took my breath a way. The clothes, the scenery, the whole feel of the film was just lovely.

I liked Becoming Jane too. I get over the non happy ending by knowing that he at least loved her forever.
I don't remember his name anymore, but the leading man on both of those movies makes me swoon.
More in Jane that in Penelope. Maybe that's why I forgive the unhappy ending.

Jessica said...

Yeah...I agree totally...except that it made me mad that LeFroy married someone else even though he loved her the rest of his life. I just always think, how unfair for the woman he married! But yeah...the Mcavoy makes me swoon every time too...especially on Jane as well. We need to watch another movie soon! :)