1.20.2011

Goals for the New Year...

The new year.  A time for reflections.  A time for change.  A time for bettering one's self.  Every year, I think to myself, "I am not doing resolutions this year.  I never stick to them.  So, why bother?"  This year, my attitude has changed.  Everyone knows the best way to stick to your goals is to be held accountable for them.  So I am posting them on my blog for everyone to see.


1. Motherhood
This year, I am dedicating myself to be the best Mom I can be to my little boy.  I am resolving to spend less time on the internet, less time on the TV, and less time on the meaningless tasks I undertake.

2. Early to Bed, Early to Rise
I will get up earlier and go to bed earlier this year.  I know I will be more productive and get more use out of my day if I stick to this goal.  Hopefully up by 7:30, and to bed by 10:30 or 11.

3. Health
You all knew it was coming; however, I would like to focus more on the health aspect of things.  I have given up sugar again and am planning to stick to it indefinitely.  I notice such a huge difference when I stick to this.  Also, I have been working on cutting my portions down as well as eating more fruits and veggies.  Currently, I am in the midst of an 11-Week Healthy Habit Challenge and it is going very well so far.  I feel great and I feel like I have been slightly more productive since starting it.  Of course, I am female, and as such am programmed to be fixated on the number that stares back at me every time I step on the scale; therefore, my goal is to be 40 lbs. lighter.  This would put me at what I remember to be my healthiest weight.  I felt the best when I weighed that much and would like to get there again.  I look forward to this year as one of the healthiest of my life.

4. Study
I am going to learn how to really study the scriptures.   Up until now, I have been just reading and not really learning everything that I could be learning.  Everyday.  No excuses.

5. Pray
Everyday, I resolve to say my personal prayers.  I need that direct line to my Father in Heaven.

6. Read
I have a goal to read a book every month.  The criteria: has to be an educational book or a literary classic.  I hope to eventually be able to really analyze and try to glean more from it than I would by just reading it.

7. Writing
I read my last blog post.  I am slightly embarrassed about the elementary writing I exhibited in that post.  I have always wanted to be an excellent writer, and I used to be a pretty fair one.  However, my skills have been lacking as of late due to the lack of practice.  My long term goal is to eventually write something and have it published...but that is years down the road.  I am still figuring out some short-term goals to lead up to the long-term that is feasible.

8. Projects
I need more things to do.  Many of you are probably laughing at me right now for saying that.  I am a mom now, and soon (once Jake gets into the "moving" stages), I probably won't have as much time on my hands.  My goal is to always be doing something and always developing my skills.  I would love to have a project going on at all times, no matter how long it takes.  My goal is to have at least one day a week that I will be able to work on it.  The purpose for this goal is two-fold:  (1) to be able to learn some new skills and get better at ones I already have and (2) to get to know myself, what I enjoy doing, and to keep me alive.  I don't want to lose myself in being a mom.  I want to be the best mom I can be, but I believe a key to that is to still retain myself in the midst of it.  First project?  Finishing the crib sheets.

9. Dinner
I resolve to make a healthy, home-made dinner at least 5 times a week.  Period end.

10. Baby
I want my children to be no more than two years apart.  I loved having brothers that were close to my age and I want my kids to experience that; therefore, I would like to get pregnant this year.  No sooner than May (and that is definitely pushing it).  Ideally, I would love around August or September, but we will see what the Lord has in store for us.  We will be trying later this year and when we start trying, I would love to be at least 30 lbs. lighter, preferably more.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi Baby,
I love your goals! Good for you for setting them and writing them down so you will be more apt to follow through. The wonderful thing about working on our goals is that it is in the journey where we learn to change our old habits and form new ones. I would give up too soon because I forgot that I didn't acquire bad habits over night so it takes time to allow the change to take place. I love you and I admire you and your ambition and self awareness!